Monday, April 12, 2010

Chocolate Blueberry Muffins


It all started when I picked up some unsweetened chocolate baking chips at Aldi. I was just so sure that I would have oodles of uses for them. It turns out that I did NOT. My recipes seem to call for either cocoa powder or semisweet chocolate. Hmm. I went on the hunt. I vividly remember some ridiculously expensive but wonderfully delicious chocolate covered blueberries that an admirer once bought for me (that's a story for another day, as I was already engaged at the time), so I was intrigued by the idea of making a Chocolate Blueberry Muffin. Unfortunately, none of the recipes I found really worked with what I had. Time to improvise...

The result? Super yummy! Awfully indulgent for an "everyday muffin", but tons of fun for a treat. Even my hubby- who doesn't like muffins with fruit in them- enjoyed these. I hope you do too!

Chocolate Blueberry Muffins

  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
  • 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 egg, slightly beaten
  • 1 cup buttermilk (I used 1 T vinegar in a scant cup of milk)
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 cup unbleached flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda (yep- soda, not powder)
  • 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
  • approx. 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and grease 12 muffin cups. In a medium-size saucepan, melt the butter and unsweetened chocolate over medium-low heat until smooth. Remove from the heat and cool slightly. Stir in the sugar, egg, buttermilk, and vanilla. In a large bowl, whisk together the flours and baking soda. Gently mix with the liquid ingredients. Fold in the blueberries. Spoon the batter into well-greased muffin cups, filling to the top. Bake for about 25 minutes. Cool on rack. Drizzle the cooled muffins with the semisweet chocolate. Allow to set at least 15 minutes before serving.


This post is linked to:

Tasty Tuesday

Tempt My Tummy Tuesday

Cupcake Tuesday



No comments: