Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Saying the Rosary



Those who know me well know I say the rosary. A lot. But I didn't always...

I started saying the rosary so frequently when my micropreemie daughter was born. You see, I was terrified, sleep-deprived, and feeling utterly lost much of the time. I was also incredibly focused on my little girl's health and still trying to parent a ten-month old. I wanted to pray. No, I needed to pray. I just couldn't seem to pull two thoughts together.

And so I turned to the sequence of prayers I learned as a child in the Catholic church. I found peace and comfort in those strings of beads and repeated Hail Marys. I found an ability to slow down and focus on the meaning behind the prayers as the words swept through my mind.

The Catholic church is often criticized for its "repetitive nature" or the "robotic responses" one can see during a Mass. I'm really not looking to push my faith on anyone or even to formulate a strong defense against those criticisms. But I will tell you this- there is great comfort in that unity, great contentment to be found in that consistency. It could be because I've always felt a part of it that I feel this way, but there you have it.

I get the same feeling from saying the rosary. It calms my soul. It soothes my heart. It fills my mind with peace.

And so... whether I be actively praying for a friend in surgery or sitting by my dozing child's bedside... whether I'm driving on an unfamiliar road or waiting in a doctor's office... whether I'm speaking out loud (with my 3-year old sweetly following along) or hearing the words in my head... you will often find me saying the rosary.

Quite simply, it works for me.

To see what things work for other people, check out Works For Me Wednesday, hosted at Rocks in My Dryer.

**********************************************************
I realize this giveaway will not appeal to everyone. But, since saying the rosary has brought me such joy, I'd like to pass some on to one of my readers! Simply leave a comment, any comment (well, nothing offensive obviously...), and I will draw a name randomly next Wednesday, October 15th. The winner will receive this rosary, lovingly hand-strung by my three-year old son:


The medal you see is of St. Nicholas, patron saint of children.

Please make sure your name is "clickable" or that you leave an email where I can contact you! If you don't feel comfortable leaving a comment, feel free to email me at: micropreemies (at) yahoo (dot) com and I'll be sure to include you in the drawing.

Thanks and good luck!

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your post is beautiful. It also reminded me that the car would be a good opportunity to begin teaching my two year old how to pray the rosary.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post about the rosary...
I have loved wearing my rosary--on my wrist--in the form of a wrap rosary bracelet! So handy for moms, whether in the car, or at an appointment--whenever one has a moment or 2 to say the rosary. You'll love it!

Jennifer @ Conversion Diary said...

What a beautiful post! Have you ever heard Fr. Benedict Groeschel's recording of the Rosary with Simonetta? It is just amazing.

I don't want to enter because I already have a Rosary and I'd like to see this beautiful one go to someone who needs it, but I just wanted to thank you for a lovely post.

Anonymous said...

My (now-five-year-old) daughter and I were both baptized into the Catholic faith at the Easter Vigil this year, and my MIL gave me a rosary to commemorate the occasion. Now, I would love to give this one (created by a child FOR a child?) to my daugher, and teach her to pray it with me. She already knows the Our Father and Hail Mary, and we will learn the rest together. :o)

Blessings to you and your family, for sharing your stories and your faith.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post! I'm with Jennifer F. I love the reading from Fr. Groeschel. They sing and add explanation and meditation, too, (if I'm thinking of the same thing she's thinking of) which makes it so much more meaningful. I like to play it when I'm driving.

You are so right about the rosary being comforting. It's not just being said, it's being prayed! I pray it most when I'm in crisis mode and just can't come up with my own words.

Good reminder that I need to pray it more often and teach my kids to do the same.

And your 3 year old strung those beads? Wow! What a great idea!

TAMILOU1122 said...

i was brought up in the catholic faith but illness has kept me out of church.I cant remember my rosary any more(any help?) but i have many rosaries and my children each possess one too...tamilou1122@yahoo.com

TAMILOU1122 said...

i cant rermember my rosaries(any help?)..but i keep the rosaries around my house to remind me of my faith.

constance said...

I'm not catholic by faith, but I am a christian, and I believe in doing whatever one needs to do in order to feel closer to our Lord. I loved the way you worded your post, and I admire the strength of your faith. I think this is a wonderful giveaway. God bless you and your family. cspan27332(at)yahoo.com

Mom's Marbles said...

Your post is a beautiful reminder of the peace that can be found in prayer. I've had thoughts of praying the rosary recently but have long since lost the rosaries I recieved for First Communion and Confirmation years ago. I would love to win this one to get back in the habit.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely rosary! I am in the RCIA program right now and will be receiving my first Holy Communion on Holy Saturday next Easter. I have found so much comfort in the shared responses and prayers during Mass. When I'm at work and feeling a little stressed out, I repeat the Glory Be until I am relaxed again. I am loving my restored faith.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post. Life is pretty busy. Just recently I told myself that I need to devote more time to God. I can devote time to favorite television programs, or shopping, so it should be just as easy for me to find time to have one-on-one prayer with God. I recently made my drive home from work, my time of prayer. I would love this beautiful rosary, and I would wear it around my wrist, as a constant reminder. It would be easily accessible, so I can pray any time. I am a practicing Catholic. What is even sweeter is that your son made it. God Bless you and your family.

amcd76@yahoo.com

Robyn said...

This is a great post. I wasn't ever totally sure what I was supposed to be thinking about when praying it, but then I learned about the Scriptural Rosary. It's a little book that fits easily into your purse and gives a sentence for each Hail Mary that tells about each mystery. It helps to keep your focus.
The rosary, said properly, is the most powerful prayer there is, and is prayed by Catholics and Non-Catholics all over the world.
In this election time, I'm wearing mine out!

Anonymous said...

Tamilou: check out this web site on praying the rosary:
http://www.pacifier.com/rosary-center.org/howto.htm

Anonymous said...

The Rosary is a great comfort. I say mine in the morning before I get out of bed or if I know I am going somewhere I'll say it in the car w/a cd.
There are so many prayers to say that if you don't know which one to use the Rosary is the.

Amy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy said...

I'm the Catholic mom of two preemies (30 and 33 weekers). I go in spells with the rosary.. saying it periodically, then not for a while.

I don't want to be entered as I have a rosary I love (made from dried roses) and don't want to take the chance for someone else to win it, but I did want to comment on your beautiful post. :)

Anonymous said...

I did the same type of thing after The Bean's early arrival. Since I had to pump every 3 hours around the clock, I decided that pumping sessions would also be prayer sessions. I can't tell you how much it helped my peace of mind. I know it helped my milk supply as well!

Miss Spoken said...

Count me in, please
gkstratos@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

I have recently went back to the Catholic church and do not have a rosary right now. This one made by a child would be lovely. I have 7 kids so I intend to teach them how to pray it too! Amy ajayx3@yahoo.com

Mommyhood is Thankless said...

He did a beautiful job on that rosary. I have several beautiful rosaries, bot I would love to have one that I can carry around as the others are my later Mother's and I don't want to risk losing them :(

mommyhoodisthankless{AT}gmail.com

Crafty P said...

what a beautiful post and gorgeous rosary!
Thank you for the encouragement.
Just last night I was reminded again to make time for Our Lady in prayer.
I just posted some lovely quotes on Tuesday, feast of Our Lady of the Rosary!
Please take my name out of the running as I know there are others who would benefit more from your precious gift!

Blessings!

Jessica said...

Beautiful, beautiful idea. May Our Lady bless you.

Unknown said...

I love this. I am not catholic and have never prayed the rosary personally but I used to babysit for a lovely Catholic woman in collge, and I always thought the rosary was a beautiful. Thank you for having this thoughtful giveaway. God bless.

TM said...

I have the Mark Mallett rosary cds uploaded to my iPod for "those days" of teaching...listen to it on the way to/from school or on my lunch break.