Wednesday, March 30, 2011

"I Had to Separate Your Children"





They are not words I looked forward to hearing. I expected a child of mine to be older before a teacher broke the news to me:

"We had to separate your child from her peer."

I figured, eventually, maybe one of them would get in a fight. Or be bullied. Perhaps a child of mine might be too chatty or pass notes. Maybe he or she would giggle too much with a good buddy. Or they'd conspire to throw spitballs. Who knew? But it wouldn't have surprised me to learn that someday, eventually, my child would have to separated from another.

I didn't expect it to happen when she was five.

But, alas, at parent teacher conferences, we were given the news. Our little C had to be separated from her good buddy Jay.

The speech therapist is actually the one who had to do it.

Why, you might ask? Were they naughty? Were they disruptive? Did they, *gasp*, cheat?

No.

They had to separate them because...

"Jay is too nurturing to C. They've been together a long time and he just can't help but try to take care of and protect her. But she CAN do these things on her own and I want to see her have those opportunities."

Yep, our little girl can't sit by her friend because he looks out for her too much. It's really kind of precious, isn't it? You may recall that, back around her birthday, I described C. this way:

" The best way I can describe her is that she's the kind of girl that people instinctively want to look out for, to take care of..."

It is completely true. Tiny-featured, high-voiced, delicate-boned C... wherever we go, people are happy to help her.

As an infant and toddler, she wanted nothing to do with this help. Feisty and independent, she wanted to take on any and all challenges all on her own. Now? She doesn't really seem to mind taking a helping hand and, well, being doted upon.

It all makes me wonder how she'll feel when she's older. When my little girl reaches her full size (currently predicted at 5'1" and 102 lb), will she fight to stand on her own two feet or be grateful for all those willing to cherish and protect her? Will she find a happy medium?

I watch my little girl who dreams of being a princess (Correction: She actually insists she already IS a princess.) and I wonder what her future holds...

I hope there are always those who want to protect her. I hope she is always so treasured and enjoyed. Most of all, I hope she is happy and loved.


No comments: