Thursday, September 3, 2009

A "Hair-rowing" Tale


I'd read about it happening but, despite having two babies while sporting almost waist-length hair, it never happened to me...

Do you know where I'm going with this? The stories about babies getting strands of long hair wrapped around their fingers or toes and ending up in the E.R. to have it cut away when it starts cutting into their flesh? Horrible stories. Truly.

We'd always avoided that. Until today...

My hair is much shorter now- about shoulder-length. But it was today that I noticed indentations in two of G's chubby little fingers. Sure enough, she had a couple strands of my hair wrapped oh-so-tightly around them.

We got lucky. I spotted it pretty early. And I was able to cut it away using a tiny blade on my Dad's Swiss army knife (ask me if that was a tad nerve-wracking...) She's just fine now. And so's her mama...

But take my advice- keep an eye on those baby hands! And try to keep your hair out of fingers' reach.

(By the way, Thanks, Papa, for always having that handy little knife around! Even though people try to confiscate it for fear you plan on hijacking a plane with a 1" blade...)

1 comment:

Amy @ Finer Things said...

My mom's a nurse. She gets "please help us" calls all the time in their tiny town. One day it was because a string was wrapped tightly around a baby finger...

Glad you didn't have to go to the hospital!