Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Would You Like To Watch T.V., Kids?


My preschoolers like to watch T.V.

There. I’ve said it. And it’s the honest truth. They enjoy PBS, they like children’s videos, and- just recently- they’ve started to show an interest in some of the Disney material out there.

Here’s the rest of the truth-- I let them watch it. We have limits, sure, and I am ridiculously strict when it comes to content… but I do let my children watch a show here and there.

They like it.

But do you know what they like more?

Take your pick…

“Do you want to do a craft?”
“Should we read this story?”
“Who wants to help Mama bake?”
“Why don’t we go outside?”
“Can you do me favor?”
“Would you like to go in the garden with me?”o
“Who wants to match these socks from the laundry?”
“Should we sing some songs?”
“How many stars can you count?”
“How about we try this puzzle?”
“Can you draw me a picture?”
“Let’s go blow bubbles!”
“Do you want to go for a walk?”
… and on and on…

Any one of those phrases will make my kids abandon the T.V. in a heartbeat. Because here’s the thing…

My kids like spending time watching T.V.

But they LOVE spending time with me.

I bet your kids feel the same way.

1 comment:

Heather Benza said...

Reese really didn't watch any tv until he was 2 and I was desperate to nap on the couch while pregnant. I tivo-ed Sesame Street and he watched it a little. Once Gus arrived (Reese was 2 1/2) we busted out the DVDs and the boy is trying to make up for lost time! I feel like all the mom blogs I read are of households that don't even own a tv and was feeling pretty guilty.