Thursday, December 3, 2009

Introducing Cereal!

It's a bittersweet day here today.

This little one is growing up a bit.



Just recently, Baby G has started showing an interest in our food. She has always been a part of our mealtimes, joining us at the table. But it is only in the last little while that she has been aware of what WE'RE eating and showing some signs of readiness.

At her four month check-up, we were given the go-ahead to introduce solids. I was in no hurry. Neither was she. In all honesty, I kind of like being her only source of nourishment. Maybe that's selfish or self-serving or some other less-than-attractive trait, but I had no problem with my baby continuing right along just exclusively breastfeeding and thriving.

All that being said, when she showed those first signs of readiness, I also knew it was time to act.

So this morning I mixed a teaspoon or two of rice cereal in a 1/2 ounce of expressed breast milk.

I started by offering her just a tiny bit on a clean fingertip. She happily sucked that off. After trying that a few times, I offered her a spoon.

She opened her mouth. She tried it.



She likes it.

Not as much as straight milk, mind you, but she likes it. ;)

We're moving on to another phase here in the Parenting Miracles household. Am I a little sad to have her "growing up" on me? You betcha. Am I delighted to see how well she's doing with this next stage? Oh, yes, I'm proud as punch! And I'm just so glad that I think we waited until she was ready, but capitalized on the moment when it arrived.

Bon appetit, sweet baby girl.


(Just in case you were wondering who she looks like... ;))

2 comments:

Amy @ Finer Things said...

Oh my word, I want to kiss those cheeks. :) How fun to have a baby who looks just like her mama.

Heather Benza said...

Gus is desperate to eat, but so far it is not agreeing with him. We'll try again next week.