Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Winter Fruit Salad


This salad is a Thanksgiving staple in my family. As a child who was a super picky eater, I pretty much made my feast out of it and and a roll or two. Seriously. I've since greatly expanded my repertoire, but I still love this salad!

(I took several lovely pictures of the salad making process- they're stuck on the "internal memory" of my camera as I forgot to put the memory card back in. Until I figure out how to do that, I regret that this will be a "text only" post. Check back sometime tomorrow if you have a chance and I should have the photos up!)

Ingredients:

chopped fresh fruit (traditionally, apples, bananas, and seedless grapes)

mini marshmallows

heavy cream
sugar

Whip cream until soft peaks form. Sweeten to taste with white sugar. You want it to be lightly sweet but not cloying like some purchased whipped toppings can be. Fold in fruit and mini marshmallows. Serve in pretty glass bowl- bonus points if it came from generations back.

There you go! That's truly it. The beauty of this is how forgiving it is. Don't have grapes? Skip 'em! Prefer extra marshmallows? Go for it! Want to toss in some pears? Well, why not? I loved it then and I love it now. I hope you might enjoy it some day too!

Head on over to The Happy Housewife to see what Toni's serving up for a side-dish during our Second Annual Bloggy Progressive Dinner. For the full line-up, click on the button at the top of this post.

2 comments:

Bloggin' Mama said...

Mmm, I love this type of salad also. We always called it marshmallow salad when we were kids! I haven't had it in ages, though. Thanks for the memory and reminder!

Sherry @ Lamp Unto My Feet said...

What an easy salad and I bet it is as delish as easy! :D Thank you for sharing!