Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Beer Bread


We use a wide range of bread around here... I bake white and wheat bread quite frequently. I also buy 88 cent loaves of wheat sandwich bread at Kroger pretty often (because, well, I like the convenience, quite frankly...)

Occasionally I run out of all of those but still want to have a fresh loaf of bread to serve up with a meal. When that happens, I often turn to my trusty beer bread recipe which I can make from start to finish in less than an hour. And which requires very few ingredients.

My husband and I are not beer drinkers, but we do have some in the family. Because of that, we often have leftover beers rolling around our fridge. This recipe is perfect for using those up and, for those concerned, it's nice to know that all the alcohol bakes out and the bread does NOT, in fact, taste like beer.

Quick As A Flash Beer Bread

Ingredients:
  • 2 2/3 cup flour (I use a combination of white and wheat)
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 12 oz beer (any kind), freshly opened, chilled or at room temp

Directions:
  • Heat oven to 375. Grease loaf pan.
  • Mix dry ingredients in medium bowl. Add beer and stir with spatula until flour mixture is just moistened. Dump in prepared pan.
  • Bake 50-55 minutes.
  • Cool in pan on rack for 5 minutes, then turn out to cool.

This bread tastes fantastic with soup or stew and actually makes great toast! Sometimes I like to add some garlic or onion powder to the batter and I top the bread with some shredded cheese for the last ten minutes of baking. Super easy, super inexpensive, super fast homemade bread.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For more Kitchen Tips, be sure to visit Tammy's Recipes every Tuesday!

7 comments:

mub said...

I love beer bread! I've never tried it as toast before, so I'm going to need to try that =)

Anonymous said...

Yum! I love beer bread cubed and dipped in garlic dip. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Beer bread is a favourite in this house too. I add a variety of herbs to ours.

Kaycee said...

This sounds great, I always love to try new quick bread recipes.

Kate said...

We have the same problem with leftover beer rolling around in our fridge. Although it's been a while since that happened. This sounds SO good and easy (love beer bread!) that I might have to pick up a few. :)

Phoebe @ GettingFreedom said...

I don't think that I have ever had beer bread!! What a travesty.

Thank you for this recipe, I will definitely have to try it. I like Amy's idea of using it in garlic dip. Now--to find some beer. :)

jenna said...

i love beer bread! i add ground flax seed meal (sub for about 1/4 cup of the flour). never tried adding herbs, that sounds good! although hubby is a beer drinker and he prefers to drink it than for me to use it up in bread...