Friday, March 13, 2009

A Personal Milestone


(Hey- so tell me this- my sister-in-law sweetly informed us that my mother-in-law said our baby looks like an alien...
what do you say? Alien or beautiful baby???)

By now, I imagine most of you have read my birth story. Having read that, you already know that I went into labor with my second child at only 23 weeks 5 days gestation. In fact, I started bleeding at 22 weeks 5 days. The story has a very happy ending (praise God!), but it was also, without a doubt, the most challenging time of my life.

That little child is now a 27 lb 3-year old who is doing beautifully. And I am now expecting our third child.

This week, I passed the 24-week mark. This little baby inside me is already bigger, stronger, and more capable of surviving outside the womb than my little girl was when she entered the world.

And so I breathe a huge sigh of relief.

I will breathe another huge sigh when I reach 28 weeks, a major milestone in a baby's development... (the survival rate is over 95% at that point).

If you're pregnant, I beg you...

  • cherish every single day that baby is inside of you
  • try to laugh at the discomfort and awkwardness of late pregnancy, even though I know it's sometimes hard
  • enjoy feeling those kicks get stronger with each passing week
  • and never, ever say, "I can't WAIT for this to be OVER!"... it is so worth the wait.

So, today, for me, still being pregnant and being past the 24 week mark is most certainly a Finer Thing. And I am so very thankful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
For my Finer Things, check out Amy's blog every Friday!

8 comments:

Ryann said...

So happy for you. I know, all too well how precious each moment keeping that baby inside you is. Congratulations again. We look forward to many more healthy reports.

Anonymous said...

Yes a huge milestone. So glad your doing well and yes its really true to put things in perspective. Congrats!

Goat Gal said...

What a great attitude to have. Especially in later pregnancy. Way to go!

liz.preemiemom said...

What a relief to see you pass the point that C was born! I am so glad that you are still having a healthy pregnancy and although it is uncomfortable, I am sending "late pregnancy take home baby" wishes your way!

Anonymous said...

I just got off of the phone with my 23 weeks pregnant sister. Told her to get online and read this.

So very happy for you! Sending wishes for a BIG healthy baby. ;-)

Heather Benza said...

Yippee!!!!! I'm so glad you've passed that milestone!! Hoping you make it to 37!

JessieLeigh said...

Thank you all so very much! It has been a real blessing having so much support this go around. :)

I go back to the doctor on Tuesday and will have a new bump update by then too!

Phoebe @ GettingFreedom said...

I'm behind on blog reading, so I am just seeing this post. What a beautiful baby (definitely NOT an alien). What a great milestone to pass..and I wish you continued success to the end!