Friday, November 13, 2009

Cheese- The Stronger, The Better


This is going to seem like an odd frugal tip to many, but bear with me...

If you want to save some money, use strong cheese.
Aged swiss, extra sharp cheddar, gorgonzola, bleu, feta... these all pack enough flavor so that a little goes a long way. Ditto for herbed/spiced cheeses like havarti dill and pepperjack.

Choosing a strong or herbed cheese means you can use less-- in an omelet, sprinkled on a salad, or melted over a dish. It would take a whole lot more mozzarella, colby, or American to fulfill a "cheesy craving".

If you happen to need to watch your fat intake for health reasons, this is also good news! Less cheese means less fat.

Me? I've said it before- I've never met a cheese I didn't like (well, except maybe head cheese- but that's not really cheese, after all...). Using smaller amounts of stronger cheeses adds variety to my menu and pennies to my wallet. And that's something to smile about.

Say cheese.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This post is linked to Frugal Friday, hosted by Jessica at Life as MOM.

1 comment:

Heather Benza said...

It's funny you should mention cheese. I just told my hubby tonight if I had to eat only one food the rest of my life I'd be perfectly happy as long as it was cheese.