Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Croup, Colds, the ER, and a Snowstorm


Well, the past few days have been rocky around here.

It started mid-week last week when my middle child, our former micropreemie, came down with a nasty cold. Irritating, but not a big deal...

Late Thursday night, my 5-year old son woke up with a barking cough, struggling to breathe. Croup. A Friday doctor's visit confirmed it and, when it got even worse that afternoon, oral steroids were prescribed.

By the weekend, we were dealing with two children with colds, but nothing major.

Yesterday, the baby caught it. Interrupted sleep, mucus-y spit-up, and fussiness are the name of the game. Nursing is hard for her, so I've had to resort to the (uncomfortable) hand pump so I don't explode. Or lose my supply. Either one would be bad.

At 9:15 this morning, my son turned white and passed out, falling straight back onto our hardwood living room floor. I called the doctor and was told to get him to the ER-- in the middle of a snowstorm. Two hours and three vials of blood later, we were released.

But we're all good. My middle child's cold seems on the way out- just a lot of goopiness remains. The baby is in pretty good spirits, despite this icky cold that caught up with her. And my son? He seems to be okay. We just need to watch him.

I am thankful that I do not panic in crisis situations. I am thankful that my parents live close by and that my dad is a great driver in the snow. I am thankful that my mom could keep my sick girlies at home so they didn't have to get dragged along to the hospital. And I am thankful that the blood work was all clean.

Most of all? I'm thankful to be home, snuggled in with my three littles, able to call Daddy when it's all already over just to report, "We're all fine, but we had an eventful morning!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This post is linked to Gratituesday,hosted at Heavenly Homemakers.

No comments: