Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Garlicky Clams Linguine

Lent is upon us, my friends, and that means coming up with some tasty meatless meals to fill our Fridays. We tend to do "Pizza And A Movie Nights" on Fridays and that makes it easy. We throw a bunch of veggies on the pizza and call it good! But on those nights when we prefer to have a nice, sit-down meal, it pays to have a few good meatless recipes up my sleeve. Since I'm Catholic but my husband is not, I like to have some meals planned that comply with my abstinence from beast and fowl but don't seem like too much sacrifice for him. ;) One such recipe is my mom's Garlicky Clams Linguine. My husband and my children all love it and the children have eaten it since they were two. This recipe has a real Linguine with White Clam Sauce feel to it, with a rich, yummy garlicky-ness! Made from basic ingredients-- many of them pantry staples-- it's an easy and frugal meal to get on the table but still feels special. I hope some of you will try it!

Garlicky Clams Linguine

  • 12 oz linguine pasta
  • 3 T butter
  • 5 T olive oil
  • 6 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 3 10-oz cans chopped or minced clams, drained, with all juices reserved
  • 1/3 cup dry white wine (you can substitute chicken or veggie stock here if you don't do wine even in cooking)
  • 1 large carrot, diced
  • 1 1/2 t dry oregano
  • parsley, salt, and pepper to taste

Cook linguine in large pot of salted water until tender.

Melt butter with oil in large heavy skillet over low heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add juice from clams, wine, carrot, and oregano. Increase heat to high and boil until reduced to about 1 1/2 cups (about 10-12 minutes). Stir in clams and parsley. Simmer until just heated through. Season with salt and pepper. Drain linguine well; add to skillet of hot clam sauce. Gently toss to blend. Serve immediately.

Makes 4 generous servings.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This post is linked to:


No comments: