Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My Pastry Bag


I am SO low-tech in the kitchen. I'm just not very gadget-y. I don't even own a box grater- I just make do with a single plane grater that fits easily in a drawer. I cook and bake all the time and it never fails to amaze me how many different "tools" some women have in their kitchens!

I'm not a fancy, schmancy cake baker. I've seen some of the amazing creations floating around here in the blogosphere and I don't mind admitting that I am just not in that league. But I do make hand-decorated cakes and treats for special occasions that require some piping detail.

I do not own a pastry bag.

I don't want a pastry bag.

I use this:


Here's why I love the Ziploc (or similar type) bag:

  • It's inexpensive.
  • If I feel I can't get it clean, I don't feel that bad tossing it.
  • I can custom-adjust the piping line without adding tips.
  • I can have different colors going at once without any real investment.
  • It's less "stuff" to store- especially "stuff" that only gets used a few times a year.

It is true that I cannot make stars or flower petals with this. Truth? I can't make them anyway ;) - I have zero in the way of cake decorating training.

Keeping it simple works for me!

(Just for you, Ally (see the comments), here are the decorated Teddy Grahams! They graced my 5-year old son's football birthday cake.)
~~~~~~~~
This post is linked to Works For Me Wednesday, hosted at We Are THAT Family.

No comments: