Tuesday, January 20, 2009

A Prayer For No Change...


I have hope. Hope that this year will be a better one for our nation. Hope that we will see good things happen and some things change that need to. I am proud that our new president is a bright, charismatic man.

This is what I'm telling myself. And what I would tell my little children were they to ask (but they don't yet).

Inside?

I'm a ball of fear. I'm just not sure what lies ahead. I'm more conservative and traditional than I am liberal, it's true. But I'm also not married to a party. I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to a Democrat as our president... if it weren't for the fact that our House and Senate are both filled with a Democratic majority. And this is where I get scared...

We face far too many issues as a nation to narrow it down to just one. But there's one that weighs heaviest on MY mind. One that I can't stop thinking about...

And that's abortion.

I've come to expect nothing at all to change when it comes to abortion law. That's how it's been pretty much my whole life. People talk about it. They have strong views. But with a balance of opinions in power, things pretty much remain the same. And, for me, that's not good enough. But I guess I've kind of gotten used to that a little bit...

But now, for the first time, I'm concerned that our abortion laws could actually become more lax, more lenient. Things like partial-birth abortions. Late term abortions. Government subsidized abortions. I'm not saying these will happen... but they could happen. We have more pro-abortion politicians in positions of power than I can ever remember before. I watch some of these bleeding-heart liberals wax on and on about the needless loss of life we've seen in this war... while openly supporting the murder of what has amounted to millions and millions of babies over the years. I don't get it. I'm sorry.



My hope is that there are "bigger fish to fry" right now. Abortion hasn't been a hot topic lately, politically speaking, and maybe that's a good thing. Because, right now, maybe the best I can hope for is just no change at all...

Am I the only one who's a little scared these days?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Related:
For some hope and encouragement on this topic, please also check out Amy's words.

2 comments:

Phoebe @ GettingFreedom said...

I'm scared as well.

This was the first election that I have ever voted in because of the very topic of abortion. I knew that I had to atelast get my vote in there.

Abortion is a hot topic, but I am with you in hoping/praying that maybe for now it will take a back seat to the economy, or more pressing issues.

I,too, am okay with a Democrat for president, but it is slightly frightening that the Democrats are also in control of the House and the Senate.

All we can do is pray. And pray hard.

Anonymous said...

I agree with a lot in your post! My mother-in-law is a speaker and wrote a Bible Study about abortion for Lifeway. Her blog is patlayton.blogspot.com - You might like to read it.
-Kim