Thursday, January 21, 2010

Pucker Up... Even In January



I have to say...

For the most part, I really like winter. I have a high tolerance for cold and I like the "freshness" of it all. I'm much happier shivering than I am sweltering. Of course, I like Fall and Spring the best, but-really- is it just me or do those temperate seasons seem oh-so-much shorter than their more extreme counterparts? So, given the choice, I'd pick January over July.

One thing I don't find charming about these frigid months? My dry lips. I mentioned yesterday that I always wear lipstick. What I did not mention is what I use to keep my lips in tip-top shape so that they're not a flaky looking mess...

First of all, let me tell you a few of the OTHER things I've tried in my quest for a smoother kisser:

  • Medicated Blistex - I was convinced that "tingling" meant it was doing something amazing. Amazingly, what it did was create a near-addiction to the stuff!
  • Vaseline - It looks pretty and shiny but does not last worth beans. (I love the stuff though- I really, truly do!)
  • Aquaphor - Um... this stuff works. I've since learned, however, that it's not really considered "safe" to put on your lips. Now I stick to using it on my chapped winter hands...
  • "Exfoliating" my lips with a washcloth - Please tell me I'm not the only one who's tried this? It left my lips swollen and raw. Clearly, I was too aggressive in my pursuits...
  • Moisturizing lipstick "combo" deals - Mmm, yeah. If it sounds too good to be true and all that jazz... plus, who wants to keep layering on color all day long?
  • "Fancy brand" lip balms - I followed the advice and recommendations of many friends over the years and wound up with a whole lot of glorified Chapstick...
  • Lip products in tiny jars - I hate this delivery method... give me a STICK, people, that I don't have to stick my finger in. Is there anything nastier than the feeling of lip gloss stuck under your fingernail?

So here's the burning question...

What do I use???

The same thing I used 25 years ago.

Seriously.



Bonne Bell Lip Smackers.

I love this stuff. I can safely re-apply as needed with no warnings. I can choose from dozens of silly flavors. If I lose a tube, I'm not out a bunch of money. I can let my kids have a swipe or two without worrying about "medications" in there. I love it.

(All the Lip Smackers I have ever had have been purchased in stores. Bonne Bell has not provided me with any to review (though I am more than open to the proposition!) and I have not been compensated in any way, shape, or form for this post. I just love the product and wanted to let you know. Thanks.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This post is linked to Things I Love Thursday, hosted at The Diaper Diaries.

No comments: