Thursday, September 11, 2008

Remember 9/11...


I have a vivid memory of being in junior high and having the history teacher give us a different kind of assignment. She asked us to go home and call our grandparents and ask them about World War II.

I really disliked history with a passion and I must confess that my memory and knowledge of it leaves a bit to be desired. However, I can tell you that I remember that phone call to my Grandpa H with great clarity. There was something about talking to someone who lived it that made it so much more real, so much more important.

Do you remember experiencing 9/11?

Do you remember where you were, what you were doing, what you were wearing?

Do you remember watching the replay over and over on the news in shocked disbelief?

Do you remember how everyone drove with their headlights on?

Do you remember the wave of patriotism that swept our nation? (and too quickly receded...)

Do you?

Try to remember. Try to lock those memories away. Do it for your children. For your grandchildren. Because, someday, some school-age child is going to call you and ask,

"Grandma, what can you tell me about September 11th?"

No comments: