Thursday, October 2, 2008

Hot Cocoa for Little Ones


As the temps start dipping a little lower each day, I'm reminded of the joys of hot cocoa. While I happily consume copious amounts of coffee year-round, cocoa is something we reserve for the cooler seasons around here.

I confess that I just use regular old hot cocoa mix from Walmart to make my cocoa. I heat a kettle of water and mix up four cups for the family. My only issue? The resulting concoction smells so yummy immediately but is far too hot to consume. I can cool my own in a jiffy with a splash of peppermint schnapps... but, well, that's little help when it comes to the kiddos.

There's the simple solution of dumping a little cold milk in there. We've done that. It works fine. But for a special treat and an element of fun? I like to freeze juice (raspberry, cherry, or strawberry is best) into cubes. I drop one cube in each of the children's cups and they love to watch it shrink. Once it's gone, the cocoa is cool enough to drink and has a yummy chocolate-berry taste!

(My apologies for no pictures-- it's not really cool enough for cocoa around here yet...)

For more delicious drink recipes and suggestions, be sure to stop by Thirsty Thursday, hosted at A Little Birdie Told Me...

No comments: