Thursday, October 16, 2008

Pudding Milk



I've mentioned before that my daughter, while not a picky eater, is fussy about what she drinks. Before she even hit the two year mark, she was ready to ditch whole milk and would only drink the same skim as her mama and brother. I spent a long time banging my head against a wall. Then I spent a lot of money buying fancy "Pediasure"-type drinks, even though doctors assured me she didn't need that much supplementation since she ate so well. Finally, I stumbled upon some full-fat soy milk and she drank that like a champ. Who knew? Perfect!

Truth? Once in a while I run out of soy milk. Those silly containers are completely opaque and I don't always notice how low it's gotten. When that happens, and knowing that I still need to cram calories into little C's drinks, I have to get creative. Sometimes I make yogurt drinks for her just using regular milk. Even more popular, though, is...

Pudding Milk

Ingredients:
  • 3 1/2 cups milk
  • 1 package (4 serving size) Vanilla Flavor Instant Pudding or any flavor
  • 1 medium ripe banana, cut into chunks OR
  • 1/2 cup strawberries

Place all ingredients in blender container; cover. Blend 1 minute or until smooth. Serve immediately.


And there you go! Extra calories. Happy toddler. Mommy who doesn't have to run to the store immediately. That's a recipe I'll keep around!

For more tasty beverage ideas, visit Thirsty Thursday hosted at a little birdie told me...


2 comments:

Ryann said...

Great idea! We are trying to teach Addy to drink from a straw (part of her therapy). I like something thicker than water, but milkshakes are too thick. I'm thinking this would be the perfect thickness. I'm going to give this a try soon.

~M said...

What about keeping some coconut milk on hand? It comes in cans so it stores well. It has lots of good fats and calories. It could probably be mixed with water or milk or blended into a smoothie.