Tuesday, September 28, 2010

3 Quick Substitutes for a Lost Earring Back


Has this ever happened to you? You're out and about and feel your earring slip and realize... uh, oh- the back is lost. Then, if you're like me, you spend a few fruitless moments searching around before realizing that that teeny, tiny piece of metal could be anywhere.

At this point, you have two choices-

  1. Remove the earrings and sport your naked lobes with pride. OR
  2. Find a subsitute for the lost earring back.
Because I love my earrings, I usually go for option #2. Because this has, unfortunately, happened to me on numerous occasions, I have a few tricks up my sleeve. Should your find yourself missing a pierced earring back, here are three things you just might have in your purse or diaper bag that can fill in in a pinch:

  1. A pencil eraser- This is my favorite option and I've been using it since junior high. Simply break off the eraser and stab the post into it. Works beautifully!
  2. A bit of un-chewed gum- Break off about 1/4 of a stick of gum, fold it into a small square, and push together with your fingers. This will work in much the same way as the eraser and, since it is (and this is important) un-chewed, it will NOT stick in your hair.
  3. A fruit snack. This is my last choice... but, well, it works. And many of us have them rolling around somewhere at the bottom of the diaper bag...

So there you go! That's how I've avoided having to sport nake-y earlobes when a back turns up missing.

What do you do when you realize a back has fallen off?

This post is linked to Works For Me Wednesday.


No comments: