Monday, April 5, 2010

Almond Streusel Coffee Cake

A cool, drizzly afternoon and a raging sweet tooth a week or so ago put me in a baking mood and sent me searching the cabinets. When I came to the realization that I had no cocoa powder, no chocolate chips, no rolled oats, and I was super low on peanut butter... well, I was feeling a little uninspired. Then my gaze fell upon a little tupperware container of whole almonds and the wheels started turning...

I brewed up some decaf and got to work.

I now share with you....



Almond Streusel Coffee Cake

1 cup unbleached flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour 9" round pan. Whisk dry ingredients together in large bowl. Add milk, butter, and vanilla. Beat until well-mixed (I do this with my mixer) and then add egg. Beat until smooth.

Pour into prepared pan.

Almond Streusel

1/4 cup almonds
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons chilled butter
2 tablespoons flour

I chose to throw all of the above in a food processor for a few seconds until I had a nice, crumbly mixture.

You could certainly chop the almonds by hand and cut all the ingredients together, however. Sprinkle over cake batter.

Bake for approx. 20 minutes until center springs back when touched.

And that's that! This recipe could easily be adapted with a different variety of nut or with the addition of fruit... I would love to try a blueberry pecan or cranberry walnut version.

This post is linked to:
Tasty Tuesday

Tempt My Tummy Tuesday

No comments: