Friday, April 2, 2010

"But There Are No Good Coupons!!"

I spent the past four weeks providing you all with forty different opportunities you might have to get those coupons clipped. It was important to me that I dispel the myth that you don't have the time to do it. You all jumped right on board with me and offered up some more great suggestions in the comments.

A few of you, however, do not seem to be having issues with finding the time to clip coupons... you just don't believe me that you can use coupons to buy quality, healthy foods. "They're all for junk!" you tell me. Or, "I never find any coupons for anything I would ever buy for family!"

Okay. I hear you. And there is the chance that, perhaps, there really are no coupons out there that will suit your particular family's needs. But I kind of doubt it. And I do challenge the notion that all coupons are for junk. I think we can all agree that we all have different ideas of what constitutes "healthy", but stick with me for a moment...

This was my quickie grocery trip I made after church this past Sunday:


And, okay, those fruit snacks are junk-y. Nothing "fruit" about them- I am aware of this. I am also aware that I am not the only mommy buying them occasionally. The other stuff I brought home?

  • Yogurt
  • Broccoli
  • Peas
  • Pasta
  • Chocolate Chips (not healthy but, hey, I love to bake!)
  • Soap
  • Sour Cream
  • Cottage Cheese
This is not "weird" food, people. These are things that I would, indeed, be buying even if I didn't have coupons. But here's why I choose to use the coupons:


By using my grocery store's "loyalty card", I saved $12.05. That's good. But my coupons saved me- wait for it- $23.09. All told, I bought $40.82 worth of food for $5.68... a savings of 86%. Want me to sweeten that deal for you even more? All of those coupons (except for $1.50 off the fruit snacks, which was mailed to me) were internet printables. I did not even have to purchase the Sunday paper to get those savings.

Still skeptical? What do I need to do to convince you that coupons could probably help your budget? Let me know in the comments!

This post is linked to Frugal Friday.

No comments: