Monday, April 26, 2010

Mexican Pantry Pie

One day, my plan for grilled cheese sandwiches for lunch fell through when we ran out of bread (I really, truly thought there was a loaf in the freezer - oops). I could have baked some, sure, but it was already 11 am and I didn't really have time before having to get my son off to school.

I opened the fridge and faced a whole lot of leftover scraps-- a few bits of chicken, about 1/2 cup of pinto beans, a small chunk of cheese. Not enough for a meal, certainly.

My eyes fell upon a sleeve of saltine crackers. Yep, that's right. Saltines. Hmm...

Mexican Pantry Pie

1 sleeve saltine crackers (I used the rather oxymoronic low-salt variety)
1/2 package taco seasoning (or make your own- definitely make your own if you use traditional saltines or it will be WAY too salty)
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 cup cubed or shredded chicken
1/2 cup cooked pinto or black beans
1/4 cup salsa
1/4 cup shredded cheese (I used jack, but cheddar or co-jack would be great too!)

Preheat oven to 350. Combine first three ingredients in food processor; press into pie plate to form a "cracker crust".

Bake for about 8-10 minutes to help "set" it. Fill pie with remaining ingredients in order listed.


Bake for 10 minutes.

Lunch was served!

This post is linked to:
$5 Dinner Challenge
Tasty Tuesday
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday

No comments: