Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Shredded Cheese


I adore cheese. Seriously. Passionately, even. I would give up meat, bread, AND chocolate before cheese.

My family really likes cheese too. (Thank heavens for that!) As a result, I cook with cheese a minimum of four or five times a week. Oftentimes, that means using shredded cheese.

But you know what I never buy?

Shredded cheese.

It's not just the fact that you sometimes have to pay for that convenience... even if shredded and block are the same price, I choose block and shred my own.

Why?

I think it tastes better. When you shred your own cheese, it melts more evenly and doesn't have that "gritty" taste to it. I think it's that "anti-caking" stuff the cheese people use to coat their shreds... potato starch and cellulose powder. I just don't need that in with my cheese.

And so, I shred my own. Each and every time. It works for me.

How about you? Do you buy your cheese pre-shredded? Block? Some of each? Do you use a food processor, box grater, or simple plane grater like me?

This post is linked to Works For Me Wednesday.

No comments: