Thursday, October 22, 2009

Chocolate Almond Granola


Chocolate Almond Granola

1/3 c canola
1/3 c honey
1/4 - 1/2 c sugar (1/4 c is more "bittersweet")
1/3 c cocoa
1 T butter
1 1/2 t vanilla
1/2 t salt
1/2 c slivered almonds
5-6 c old fashioned oats

Mix first 5 ingredients in small saucepan over medium heat. (*tip- measure your canola before your honey and the honey will pour right out of the measuring cup*) Bring to low boil. Remove from heat. Stir in salt and vanilla. Meanwhile, dump oats and almonds in big ol' oven-safe pan. Pour chocolate mixture over the oats and mix a bit with spoon or spatula. As soon as you can stand to touch it, start mixing with your hands-- you'll get much more even coating this way. Once it appears evenly coated, pop in a 350 degree oven. After ten minutes, reduce heat to 200 and leave it in there for a couple hours, stirring occasionally. Alternatively, you could turn the oven off and leave it in overnight. (I just tend not to make things at night.) Enjoy a chocolatey treat that's reasonably healthy and will fill you up!

* Note: I'm downright lousy at photographing food- trust me, it really tastes yummy!

** Big hat tip to Amy for sharing Crystal's Lazy Granola recipe-- that's where I learned the "method", if you will.

****************************************************
This recipe is linked to Ultimate Recipe Swap over at Life as MOM.
This yummy snack is also linked to Finer Things Friday!

5 comments:

Heather Benza said...

What's up with the food photography issues? My food always looks kind of blech. But obviously I wouldn't photograph it if is wasn't fantastic!!

Amy @ Finer Things said...

I can't do food photos, either.

This looks delicious. I will NOT be showing my hubby, though, because he'll never want it the "plain" way again. ;-0

Kim @ Forever Wherever said...

I seriously wish I had some of this to snack on right now!!!

Kim

Kitchen Stewardship said...

Mmmmm, I love my own granola, but chocolate might be a fab change of pace! :) Katie

Katie said...

I've had this recipe haning on my fridge for months and I finally got around to making it the other day. Why did I wait so long?! It was sooo good!! Thanks for the recipe JessieLeigh :)