Friday, October 16, 2009

The Kitchen Table That's Too Small


I had to run to the grocery store today. (Now isn't that a thrilling start to a post??) As I stood at the check-out, I recalled a conversation I had had this past Sunday at that exact same store...

The elderly man in front of me commented on my baby girl.

"Now she is one the most gorgeous babies I've ever seen!" he exclaimed. "And I have 24 grandchildren so I've seen my share of babies."

We chatted about babies and families and girls and boys (he has 19 grandsons and only 5 granddaughters). He asked if she was my first and smiled when I told him she was my third.

Then he told me that his daughter was having her sixth baby (his 25th grandchild!) on Friday. That's today.

And so, as I waited in line, I thought of that dear old man who is welcoming his 25th blessed grandchild into the world today. I said a prayer that all goes well. And I smiled as I thought of his kitchen table that he said seats 24... and isn't nearly big enough.

2 comments:

Amy @ Finer Things said...

Awww, I'm the third of 34 grandkids on my mom's side of the family. You totally could have been talking to my grandpa. :)

Anonymous said...

How sweet! Our family is big, but not quite that big. I hope one day our kitchen table gets too small.