Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Homemade Ranch Style Beans

I buy dry beans.

I will not judge you in the least if you feel that the convenience of canned beans is worth the cost. Quite frankly, canned beans are still a very frugal quality protein. But for me, dried beans are the way to go. I like that they're cheap, store easily, and I can prepare as many or as few as I'd like at a time.

This method works very well for me and, as a result, I just don't keep canned beans on hand. I never have any issues with this...

Until I find a recipe that calls for "ranch style beans". And I never have them. Well, yes, of course I could keep a can or two on hand since I'm aware that this issue can come up. But, to be honest, I just forget. I don't use them often enough to think about them. I'm also just not the type to run to the store to pick up one or two items. If I don't have it, I live without it.

Here's what I've found works for me:

Homemade Substitute Ranch-Style Beans
(about 1 can's worth)

1 cup dried pintos
2 tablespoons taco sauce
1/4 cup additional water

Soak and cook pintos using your usual method (overnight, quick soak, crock pot, whatever floats your boat). Drain. Add pintos, taco sauce, and 1/4 cup water to small saucepan. Simmer over low to medium heat until liquid is reduced and thickened (but still saucy). Voila.

Would you consider making your own ranch-style beans? Or do you think I'm just cheap or lazy or forgetful? ;)

This post is linked to Works For Me Wednesday.

No comments: