Monday, August 9, 2010

Taco Pie

Oh, this one's SO easy... and yummy! I like to make this kid-friendly dish a day ahead of time and just toss it in the fridge. I bet it would work well for once-a-month-cooking too, but I'm not really on board with that yet. Yes, yes, Jessica, I know... ;)

Taco Pie

1 lb gr. beef
1 T chili powder
1 t basil
1 t oregano
1/2 t garlic powder
salt & pepper to taste (I use about 1/4 t and 1/8 t, respectively)
2 T olive oil
15 oz can tomato sauce
1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes (less if you don't much like heat!)
4 10" flour tortillas
16 oz can refried beans (I cook up and mash 1 cup dry pinto beans... I season them with a little salt, cumin, chili powder, and garlic powder.)
8 oz grated cheddar (I like mine sharp!)

Brown ground beef and drain. Stir in chili powder, 1/2 t basil, 1/2 t oregano, and 1/4 t garlic powder. Meanwhile, heat oil, tomato sauce, and remaining herbs and spices in a sauce pan over medium heat. Simmer for about 15 minutes. Add half of sauce to meat and mix well. Place a flour tortilla on bottom of deep dish pie plate or casserole and spread with sauce. Top with a layer of beans, then meat, then cheese. Repeat until last flour tortilla. Top with remaining sauce and cheese. Cover with foil and bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Remove foil; allow to brown.

I have to make a separate, smaller, "bean-free" version of this dish for my husband. He's a pretty adventurous eater, but he just can't do beans. It can be tough since I'm a true bean LOVER! I love him more than beans, though, so I make the separate pie.

What special concessions do you have to make in cooking for your spouse?

This post is linked to:

No comments: