Monday, December 20, 2010

Because Santa Likes Him Better...


If you and your family don't "do Santa", feel free to pass this post right on by. But, if you do, please take a second and just think about something along with me for a minute...

If Santa will be visiting your home this year, consider letting the big guy be in charge of leaving one desired (but fairly modest) gift or a couple very small things.

Here's why:

Some people have simple Christmases, some have extravagant ones. Some people can afford lots of things, some can afford next to nothing. And some lessons are hard.

While children can understand and accept that some families have more money or choose to spend their funds on certain things, it is more difficult to understand why Santa might bring one child a Wii and ten games and another a coloring book. Don't get me wrong- I believe the coloring book is as good (or better) a gift. But kids aren't stupid. They DO know the difference. And, while it's never too early to teach our children the true meaning of Christmas, it helps if he doesn't have to wonder why "Santa likes that kid better..."

If we're going to "do Santa", it should be a joyous, fun, magical, FAIR part of the holiday. If you want your child to have a fancy new phone, great, but why don't YOU give it to her? Let the cute new scarf be from Santa and the big ticket item be from Mom and Dad...

It's just something I've been thinking about.

3 comments:

Celine said...

I could not agree more. "Santa" does do a bit more in our house but it's still mild compared to most. He gives "something they want, something they need, something to wear and something to read". Though that might change over the years as they grow older. I only give them 3 gifts as Jesus received 3 gifts from the wise men.

It's definitely tough to navigate the Christmas giving for children when everyone has such different beliefs/feelings. I am glad that for right now my oldest focuses on Jesus more then Santa and I can hopefully keep it that way in the coming years.

Jennifer said...

I have always thought this! Why should Santa get all the credit for the most wanted item? We only fill stockings at our house as the Santa thing. The kids only expect it at this point, although sometimes if something is just too big because I miss judged and goes underneath, they never expect it. I have heard them tell friends that Santa fills stockings and it is fine.

Victoria said...

I love this idea! I think we will implement this for our children (once our first decides to come out that is!). In my house it was always a mix of things from 'Santa' and Mom & Dad - but my sister could tell that 'Santa's' handwriting looked a lot like my Dad's. At my grandparent's house we received gifts from the president, cartoon characters, and actors also. Just another fun way to make Christmas more interesting. But, I love your ideas. :-)