Want a super easy, super fun way to impress and delight your kids sometime this Christmas week? How about Hot Cocoa Oatmeal?
This little idea came to me while preparing the oatmeal pan one night while mixing up some hot cocoa for my husband, my mother-in-law, and myself. What if...
You need, for each serving:
1/2 cup oatmeal (quick or old-fashioned- the only difference will be cook time)
1 cup water
1 packet hot cocoa mix (or equivalent homemade)
a few mini marshmallows
Dump oatmeal, cocoa mix, and water in a pan. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer until cooked. Quick cook only takes a minute or so, old-fashioned takes about five. It will look like creamy, chocolatey oatmeal. Dish up in bowl and top with a few mini marshmallows. Yum!
I loved this breakfast for several reasons:
- It is fun and so wonderfully seasonal.
- It is super quick and requires no special skills.
- The kids think they're getting an amazing treat.
- It's reasonably healthy, as treats go, and will "stick to their ribs" more than, say, Count Chocula.
- It's a hot breakfast for a cold morning!
Give it a try sometime! (And sneak a taste yourself... it's pretty indulgent!)
This post is linked to: