Monday, January 24, 2011

Asian Chicken Stir-Fry With Mixed Veggies

(This pic is overly bright and orange-y... stupid flash. :( )

For this meal, I used a bag of frozen "broccoli, carrot, cauliflower" mix (is that called California Medley or some such thing?), a can of mushrooms, and the chopped up "two boneless breast" portions I packaged up the other day:


Truth? I used a Lawry's marinade for this. I hadn't intended to, but then I saw the bottle rolling around my fridge door and it was perilously close to expiring. I don't like to waste, people, so I used it. What this means is I marinated the chicken, cooked it up, added the veggies, and served it over cooked rice. It was that easy.

However...

Had I NOT found that bottle rolling around, I would have used this recipe for an equally tasty and still very simple meal:

In small bowl (well, really, I use a medium bowl because I like lots of room to work), combine:

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon sherry
2 teaspoons minced garlic

This can be used as a marinade or simply as a sauce to simmer your chicken in. If you like a thicker sauce, you can add a bit of corn starch.

~*~*~*~*~*~

This recipe, along with 1 1/2 cups of rice (before cooking) fed all five of us abundantly, with leftovers for my husband's lunch the next day.

Isn't this fun? I get a kick out of seeing how I can make ingredients s-t-r-e-t-c-h ! I'd love for you to come back tomorrow when I dish up my signature batter-dipped chicken sandwiches!

No comments: