Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Mexican Chicken Frittata



Oh, how I love frittatas! Or baked omelets, I guess. I think true frittatas start with potatoes on the bottom but I, complete rebel that I am, slap any starch I want on the bottom and still call it a frittata. I think I like to sound fancy schmancy.
Anyway, to create this yummy family pleaser, I used my bag of 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken pieces that I picked off of the bone/meat remains I had from prepping my chicken for five meals.

I also used:

2 tablespoons taco seasoning
1/2 cup water
6 eggs
approx. 2 cups old bread, cut or torn in small cubes
1 cup milk
1/2 cup salsa (I make Jessica's recipe.)
4 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded

Preheat oven to 375. Toss your chicken bits, taco seasoning, and water in a small saucepan and let simmer until water is reduced by at least half. Remove chicken from pan and let it cool down a bit. Grease an 8" square pan. Do NOT skip greasing your pan. I use cooking spray because butter does NOT work for me but, if you have a better method, please let me know! I'm thinking of trying bacon grease next. Anyhow, scatter the bread around the bottom of the greased pan. In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, salsa, and cheese. (**At this point, you could absolutely add any or all of the following: diced onion, diced peppers, diced fresh tomato, corn, fresh chopped cilantro, etc. It was karate night around here which meant I wanted NO arguments and quick eating. So I kept it super basic. I don't always.**) Dump egg mixture on top of bread cubes. Bake uncovered for 30-35 minutes until set up and very lightly browned on top.

~*~*~*~*~

This recipe also fed all five of us and, since I was a light eater that night, there was enough left for my husband's lunch the next day.

No comments: