Monday, June 7, 2010

The Egg Sandwich

Ah, the humble Egg Sandwich. It's been a lunchtime staple in my life as long as I can remember. There are many, many variations on the Egg Sandwich... I've made them on thick toast, bagels, English muffins or biscuits. I've topped them with ham, tomato, caramelized onion, cheese, and more. But the basics? The real cut-and-dry, simple as they come Egg Sandwich?

It goes something like this:

2 slices soft sandwich bread (I love homemade bread people, but I admit I like the store bought sandwich variety for this.)
1 egg, beaten
salt and pepper to taste
bacon grease (You can use butter, if you must, but bacon grease is superior.)
ketchup (You may not need or want ketchup- I do. Don't judge me. ;))

Melt grease in small skillet over med heat. Add egg and season with salt and pepper. When slightly set-up, flip to cook other side. Serve between slices of soft bread. Cut in half. Dip in ketchup. Yum.

No comments: