Thursday, June 17, 2010

When He Grows Up...


My five year old graduated from preschool last week. Not a fancy-pants, organized graduation, mind you... just a little party at the school. During this party, the children received "yearbooks" with photos and profiles of their peers. (Super cute! And I plan to share more about them when I get my camera's memory card back... )

The last profile question for each child was this:

"When I grow up, I want to be..."

The answers included the following...

  • policeman (x4)
  • fire fighter
  • video game player
  • Super Why
  • teacher
  • video game player
  • doctor
  • mermaid
  • vet
  • super hero


There were lots of smiles and laughs as the children read off their answers, but I can't say that any of them were huge surprises.

My boy stood up.

"When I grow up, I want to be an uncle to G (his baby sister)'s kids."

(Insert audible "Awww..." heard from the crowd.)

I was proud of his answer. And touched. But not surprised. We are working hard to raise children who value family.... who are proud to be good role models... who aspire to grow up to be like some of the greatest people they know-- their uncles, aunts, grandparents, parents...

And that's a greater ambition than being Super Why in my book.

This post is linked to Finer Things Friday.

No comments: