Friday, June 25, 2010

Small-Town Carnival


My husband arrived home from work yesterday afternoon, kissed me, took the baby, and asked if I wanted to take the kids to a carnival in a tiny neighboring town. He had seen a sign on his drive home.

Sounded good to me!

We ate our supper and headed out the door.

Was it cheap? Um, not really. Those ride tickets can add up quickly and, yes, they're pretty much a rip-off. On the surface, shelling out four dollars to ride the ferris wheel makes me cringe...

But then I watch my daughter's face as we climb way up, up, up high as the trees...

And my husband laughs as their eyes get huge when the kiddie train takes off with them in front...

And the baby giggles and holds tight to me as we ride together on the merry-go-round...

And, as I nurse my exhausted littlest one to sleep, I hear my son in the room across the hall, whispering to his beloved Mr. Penguin...

"And then I went on this HUGE slide called the Fun Slide TWO times! It was SO fast, Mr. Penguin. And Daddy and I rode the big ferris wheel. And then I got to..."

And I realize.

We're making memories here.

And that's priceless.

What seemingly "rip-off" things have you realized were worth every penny?

This post is linked to Finer Things Friday.

No comments: