Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Disney's Desperate Housewives


My sister-in-law emailed this to me.

It's funny. It really is.

It's also a sad commentary on wives, in my opinion...

Because, while this tongue in cheek cartoon pokes fun at the plights of the princesses, it's also a pretty accurate reflection of conversations happening among women all over the country right now.

Griping. Whining. Fussing. Complaining.

  • "Our car isn't nice enough..."
  • "My husband wants sex ALL THE TIME..."
  • "No way will I put out the effort for that..."
  • "He actually wants me to look sexy for him!"
  • "I'm expected to take care of these little ones all by myself all day long..."

All followed by huge, exasperated sighs.

Listen. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to vent occasionally. Or to have good friends with whom you can compare sagas. But don't we owe our husbands a bit more respect than that? And, really, if you actually think about it, are any of those things really so bad or so much to ask?

I, for one, would like to work really hard on changing both what rolls through my head and what comes out of my mouth to sound more like:

  • "We are so blessed to have two vehicles..."
  • "I'm so lucky my husband wants to be with ME all the time!"
  • "The man I married deserves my time and energy."
  • "Isn't it amazing that he finds my post-baby bod sexy?"
  • "I am so grateful we're on the same page about me staying home with the children."

I am not even close to perfect. I roll my eyes sometimes. I stomp and fuss and feel put out.

But I really want to work on it. I don't want to read a cartoon like that and think, "Amen, Sister!" Rather, I want to think about MY prince and what he sees in me and hears from me. I am in no way desperate and I want that to come across loud and clear.

Now excuse me while I go don some fishnets. ;)

No comments: