Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Blueberry Pie Oatmeal

I am the unofficial queen of coming up with creative ways to serve up plain ol' oatmeal. My son declares each of my creations his new "favorite ever!", so it's easy to stay motivated. This oatmeal has wonderful flavor and interesting texture, thanks to the graham cracker crumbs on top. There IS added sugar, since I'm replicating blueberry pie here, but it's still less than you'd find in a "flavored packet" you might buy. And the blueberries are real. I made this with frozen berries, since that's what I had, and they affect the color of the oatmeal. Fresh would have less impact on that, if you're bothered by the purplish tinge...

For each serving, use...
  • 1/2 cup old fashioned oats
  • 1 cup water
  • a few drops vanilla extract
  • 1/4 cup blueberries, heaping
  • 1/2 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 tablespoon graham cracker crumbs

Add all ingredients but cracker crumbs (reserve a few blueberries for garnish) to a pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes until oatmeal is cooked. Spoon into serving dish and top with graham cracker crumbs and a few blueberries. Enjoy your "blueberry pie" for breakfast!

Linked to:
Tasty Tuesday
Tempt My Tummy Tuesday

No comments: