Thursday, March 10, 2011

What My Minivan Says About Me


I drive a minivan. I do. And that's handy, because I like sitting "up high" and it's easy to fit the kids and any necessary gear.

In a recent conversation with a neighbor, I was made aware of all the "image issues" with driving a minivan. I apparently live in a bubble, because I had no idea I was making such a bad impression through my vehicle choice! (It should be noted that she was sharing why she disliked driving hers, not specifically calling me out.)

I've thought about it. Mulled it around. Here's what I've determined. Here's what my minivan says about ME:

  • I have a family. It's the whole reason we got it, as is the case for many. Before I had three kids, I didn't see much need for it.
  • I'm frugal. We get better gas mileage in our minivan than we would in a large SUV. That's a good thing.
  • I'm safety conscious. Yep, one of our number one factors in considering our last vehicle purchase was its safety rating.
  • We're an active family, but we "off road" on foot, not wheels. I'm glad to have a vehicle that can easily hold our hiking gear, but we've no need for something that can bounce through the mud.
  • I accessorize on my person, not my car. My minivan doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles. Truth be told, I was kind of irked it came with a DVD player; we've traveled extensively and used it once. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with liking fancy features on your mode of transport... but, if you look at mine, you'll see it's not a priority.

So there you go. That's what I'm thinking people see when they watch me drive by in my minivan. Well, that and a friendly lady who will wave with her free hand since it's never busy texting. ;)

And I'm okay with that.

How about you? What do you figure your vehicle says about you?

This post is linked to Things I Love Thursday because I LOVE my minivan and I love what it says about me!

No comments: