Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Lent '11: Letting Go of Judgment, Challenge 4

This past week's challenge was so eye opening for me... obviously, I know that I can be judgmental. That's the whole point of this Lent challenge. But when I really asked myself why I was getting my back up about others' choices, it was apparent that very few of those situations were really issues of faith or morality. I have a feeling I'm not alone in that.

Did you participate last week? Even if you didn't, I'd love to have you participate along with me at any time. As I always say, there are absolutely no rules or requirements for this Lenten journey.


Can you believe it's already time for our Week 4 Challenge? Here it is:

Initiate a conversation with a friend/neighbor/relative/fellow parishioner about a past choice you made that you now have reason to doubt. (Alternatively, you could write a post about it!) Share the learning experience.

Maybe you used to shun butter and now you see it as part of a healthy diet. Maybe you used disposable diapers with your first child and now you're a master of the cloth. ;) Perhaps you weren't a Christian and now you are. Big or small, explore the process of learning and changing. I, for one, am fairly amazed when I compare the "me" of ten years ago with the woman who stands before you today. I am a constant work in progress. I think there is value in sharing those parts of our story with others.

Will you give it a shot? Are these challenges too hard? I hope not! I hope they just take a little of your time and give you the opportunity to rethink how we view our peers and neighbors.

Please come back to see me next Wednesday so we can talk about it and get a new challenge, okay?

Button design by the spectacular Sidnie