Thursday, March 17, 2011

Ten Minutes

I had accomplished so very much that morning... baked fresh bread, brownies, and more. Sorted, boxed, and labeled six sizes worth of girls' clothes. Vacuumed. Two loads of laundry. Clipped and organized coupons. My, my, wasn't I an impressive one.

It had to be done, see. I knew I had errands to run that afternoon, after nap and school.

Hurry, hurry, rush, rush. Go play now, kids. Yes, I'll help with the princess dress. Yes, that is a corner piece for puzzle. Yes, I'll fix your headband. Now, run along now, Mommy's working.


I had half an hour before I had to pull lunch together. Half an hour where I could get all that laundry folded and put up. Half an hour where I could mop the kitchen floor that sorely needed it. Thirty minutes to pour one more cup of coffee and then scrub the pot.

I gave them each ten minutes.

Ten minutes of uninterrupted Mommy time. Ten minutes to do whatever each wanted with me. Their choices. My time.

And, oh, how much focus they put into their decisions. They pondered. They weighed and, finally, selected...

I read Elmo's 12 Days of Christmas... many, many times.

I helped bring a giant coloring page to life...

I sorted edge pieces so we could put the Transformers together.

The laundry, my dirty floor, and the stained coffee pot? They're all still there. They're not going anywhere. But there will come a day when my ten minutes might not be viewed as such a treasure...

Best half hour I could have spent.

Linked to Finer Things Friday.

No comments: