Fridays are so wonderful, are they not?
Not only is the weekend knocking at our door, it's also the day Amy hosts Finer Things Friday. I LOVE a post (and all those linked up!) that celebrates the simple joys of life.
This week? Well, my kids are still cute, my recipes still yummy, and Spring still very welcome. ;) But...
The finest thing I can think of to celebrate today?
What does this mean? Well, here are just a few things:
- In a number of states, lawmakers are considering bills that would ban elective abortions after 20 or 21 weeks of pregnancy.
- In Ohio, there's been a hearing on an even tougher measure that would outlaw abortions after the first medically detectable heartbeat - as early as six weeks into a pregnancy.
- In Texas, a bill passed by the House would require that pregnant women have an opportunity to view a sonogram image, hear the fetal heartbeat and listen to a doctor describe the fetus.
- In more than 20 states, bills have been introduced to restrict insurance coverage of abortion.
- In Virginia... lawmakers last month passed a bill requiring abortion clinics to be regulated on the same basis as hospitals. Abortion-rights group said this could entail higher costs and force several clinics to close.
For me, and many other pro lifers, this is, of course, nowhere near enough.
But it IS progress.
And THAT, my friends, is a finer thing, indeed.