Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Lent '11: Letting Go of Judgment, Challenge 2 RESULTS



I was thrilled to read the results from Week 1 of those of you taking on this challenge for Lent. I am so inspired to hear the progress we are making, side-by-side, as we truly listen to our sisters in Christ and try to open our minds and hearts without judgment. (It can be hard, can it not?)

Week 2's challenge was this:

Challenge 2: Free-write for five minutes. Defend a different choice or view. (For example, I could write about being against vaccinations or circumcision.) Let yourself see the "other side" just for a few moments.

Here's my attempt:

Mealtimes aren't meant to be battlegrounds. It is more important to me that my children eat SOMETHING and that we have happy conversation than it is to insist they eat all the things I do. I mean, really, how much does it really matter if my 6yo eats cabbage or salmon? It's not worth sweating the small stuff. I think setting firm guidelines for eating can lead to bad relationships with food. I don't want it to be a power struggle, so I'd rather just make the Eggos and chicken nuggets I know he'll eat. Lots of kids are picky eaters and they turn out just fine. If the pediatrician is worried, we can always do a vitamin supplement. I'm not...

And that was five minutes. You know I'm honest since I stopped mid-sentence.

If you have read my blog for any length of time, you know I don't really think that way. In fact, I wrote a whole series on "Raising Good Eaters." I stepped on some toes, as you can see in the comments. That's okay, though.

Anyway, I did realize, as I wrote this out, that I didn't feel "stupid" making these arguments. I get it... I do. It's not how I'm going to do things- and I remain unconvinced that it's the healthiest way to go- but we all make choices. I let my kids eat Taco Bell last Saturday night (a promised reward after completing several weeks on a star chart) and I know I have readers who probably want to vomit just reading that. It's alright.

My apologies if you thought I was going to go the tough route and write a pro-choice piece this week. I just cannot do that. For me, it's an issue of faith and morality. More on that in a later week.

Enough about me!

Did you participate this week? I'd love to read what you wrote! Link up below or tell me about it in the comments:




No comments: