Thursday, March 24, 2011

Misleading Labels: Corn Syrup in Disguise

Um, I hope you can read backwards. ;) Long, long story, but the only camera I can use right now is the one built into my laptop... and it results in a mirror image. I'll help clarify things, though...

Here's the thing. I've told you all before that I'm unwilling to get completely bent out of shape over the whole HFCS thing. This remains true. And, to be fair, I expected to find sugar and/or high fructose corn syrup in "Sweetened Lime Juice."

But, I don't know, I think this is misleading:

(That says "Contains 100% Juice", in case it's hard to make out.)

The full ingredients follow:

(Darn near impossible to read, I know. Here you go: Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Concentrated Lime Juice, Sodium Metabisulfite, Blue 1)

Listen. I totally realize that it is MY job as a consumer to read labels. And I understand that perhaps "Contains 100% Juice" isn't really a lie, since there IS juice in there.

But I still say it's misleading to print "Contains 100% Juice" in the largest font, right at the top. I'm guessing there is a fair number of people out there who might assume this bottle contains just, well, lime juice.

What do you think? Irresponsible labeling? Buyer beware? Let's chat about it in the comments.

No comments: