Friday, March 4, 2011

Key Lime Shortbread Muffins


It is SO true...

Necessity is the mother of invention.
I flat refused to pay $3.99 for a bag of white sugar at the store today. I'm out of brown sugar too, for the record. And low on honey. No worries– there's no shortage of sweetness in the Parenting Miracles household. ;)

Anyhow, all I had was powdered sugar. And, quite frankly, not a ton of it. But I had muffins listed on my menu plan for tomorrow morning and, what can I say, I'm stubborn. That's good news for all of you:

Key Lime Shortbread Muffins
  • 1/2 cup butter (I'm guessing coconut oil would be amazing in these.)
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 egg
  • juice of one key lime
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/3 cup plain yogurt
  • 1 cup all–purpose flour
Topping:
  • zest of one key lime
  • 3 tablespoons powdered sugar
  • 3 tablespoons all–purpose flour (The flour is important here; without it, you'll create frosting.)
  • 2 tablespoons butter

Preheat oven to 350. Combine flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder in medium bowl. In separate bowl, cream butter and powdered sugar. Add egg and lime juice and mix just until combined. Alternate add mixed dry ingredients and yogurt. Batter will be fairly stiff. For topping, mix ingredients together with fork or fingers until crumbly. Spoon batter into greased mini muffin tins. (This yielded 23 for me... I just couldn't eke out that last one.) Add a small amount of topping to each. Bake for approx. 18 minutes until golden brown and firm to the touch.


These are buttery, delicate, and not too sweet. The lime is discernible, but not overpowering.

Aren't you glad I didn't buy sugar?

No comments: