Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Lent '11 Final Thoughts: Saving My Energy For the Battles That Matter


Lent has come to a close. On Sunday, we celebrated the Resurrection of our Savior... what an amazing culmination to the season! The hymn "Jesus Christ is Risen Today" declares Easter "our triumphant holy day" and I could not think of a better description.

It was a long, thoughtful seven weeks around here with lots of challenges and things to think about. In case you missed any of the challenges, you can find them here:


My final thoughts after having lived these challenges for the past couple of months?

It was SO good for me.

I don't want anyone to think that letting go of judgment means letting go of your opinions. It most certainly does not. But it DOES mean that I spend a whole lot less time worrying about choices other people are making. The dear mommy friend who let her child guzzle three cups of soda at a birthday party? Not my preference, but also not my decision. And that's okay. I reckon he'll probably turn out just fine. The raw milk I bought and tried? It was fine. But I don't think it's going to become a "regular thing" around here anytime soon. And I think we'll be okay. That lady who pays full price for all her groceries and turned her nose up at couponers like me? Not my issue. It's her money to spend.

I'm learning to just breathe. To smile. To look at the glass as half full and assume others are making the best choices they can for whatever season they're in.

This also leaves me with enough energy to fight the battles actually worth fighting... those issues of faith or morality I mentioned earlier. I will STILL defend the unborn and will gladly speak up on their behalf every chance I get.

Letting go of judgment involves picking your battles...

I'm choosing not to nitpick every dietary and lifestyle choice so I can use that time and energy to stand up for the life and death causes.

And that works for me.

Button design by the spectacular Sidnie

No comments: