Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Over-salted Sauce?




Super quick tip today...

If, like me, you make your own pizza sauce, taco sauce, soup, etc, there may come a time when you taste it and realize you were a little heavy-handed with the salt. Not too worry; all is not lost.



Simply place a cut apple or potato into the pot, stir, and let it simmer in there for 15-20 minutes. The starchiness will absorb much of the excess salt making it more palatable! But you'll probably want to toss the apple/potato... it will be pretty gross.



(On a related note, putting a whole, peeled carrot into a tomato based sauce while it simmers will absorb excess acid resulting in a sweeter sauce.)

For more kitchen tips, be sure to visit Tammy's site every Tuesday!

2 comments:

Sonshine said...

Thanks for the tip about reducing the salt.

I posted last week about carrot being natural sweetener in tomato based dishes! :) Rather than putting a whole one in the sauce I just shredded it up and get more veggies in my crew. :)

Anonymous said...

I have tried the potato thing and it hasn't worked very well for me. Thankfully I haven't had to do it much.
I will try the carrot thing though.